Sunday, September 19, 2010

CRAFT=my middle name





so i am really into crafts now... i mean really into making new things out of old. could this be saying something about my deep processes lately? i've really been pondering on different verses and the concept of the Gospel and redemption. anyway, with that said, my mom told me there were 2 antique chairs that were my grandmother's that she knew she would never use and i could have if i wanted them. she mentioned maybe sanding/painting them and i was like...hm...too much trouble? and i am bad about projects. i tend to start one and never finish. so anyway, with the help of my dad and michael w, we accomplished the (what i thought) unaccomplishable...sanding/painting/seat-covering 2 antique old chairs. success? yes!

the process was a little tedious...sanding is not my thing i decided from this weekend when i was home and we did this little project. michael and my mom both were asking, "have you ever heard of elbow grease?" apparently my sanding was not up to par. then we primed them with 2 coats, and then made them KINDA look shabby chic. haha. the fabric was picked out at hancock w/em and i LOVE it. it matches the spoon rest i got from anthro.


the 2nd craft, which i actually didn't think i would finish, was a sign that says "faith". my mom and michael and i saw a sign made just like the one i made at an antique store- selling for $65...and i thought to myself- I CAN MAKE THAT! for cheap!! so michael and i started it a couple of weeks ago and finished it this week by just staple-gunning the copperwire letters. it was so easy.




- grab a long, thick board as the base, then cut however many small square boards you want to spell for a word---like believe, faith, hope, etc. then you have to shape with any kind of thick wire whatever letters you are using. then you paint the boards whatever color, cut out some fun, patterned paper, glue that paper to the small boards, and then staple gun the copper wire letters. ahhhh. i am obsessed with crafting.


if anyone has any crafty ideas/projects they've undertaken, i would LOVE to hear them.

this weekend was so relaxing and good to see fam, handful of friends, and little micwiggs. and btw, if you haven't seen the karate kid, you need to see it. and if you haven't eaten at bagel co. in memphis, you need to try it.

3 comments:

  1. hey girl! so tell me abt this bagel co.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see these new chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the chairs look so good, you can help me next year whenever i actually move out haha!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger