Monday, July 19, 2010

Discipline

so i was thinking a few minutes ago what i should blog about. i was thinking i could give an update on this job i've taken, or talk about the lonely hotel room i'm staying in where i'm laying on my bed watching the bachelorette...or i could write something sortof deep! i decided on the latter, only because i feel like all of my conversations and interactions today have been somewhat surface. i also have a reason to write about something "deep" because i was interested in the real definition of the word "discipline".
with that said, the webster definition of the word "discipline" is this: "control gained by enforcing obedience or order; orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior". when i started this blog, my intention was to write alot about running and training for a marathon or half marathon. and how sometimes those trainings can be analogized to life. i feel like you can only write about so much with that topic. but today, i was thinking how this pertains to my whole life (the word discipline).
i've been trying to read the Word almost every day. not only because i know it is the right thing to do...but because i've realized more and more my need for hearing it, gaining direction, encouragement, and for deepening my relationship with the Lord. and He's given us all of those things in Scripture. i guess my point is that i want to be more in tune with being disciplined in spending time with the Lord---not just with reading my Bible, studying it, and hopefully by God's grace and Spirit, applying it, but also with prayer and community with other believers.
last thing- this came from the book Valley of Vision, a book of Puritan prayers. i love it- it seems like every single prayer in this book is so applicable and you can relate so well with what each of them says.
"Teach me that it is wisdom for me to pray for all I have, out of love, willingly, not of necessity; that i may come to thee at any time, to lay open my needs acceptably to thee; that my great sin lies in my not keeping the savour of thy ways; that the remembrance of this truth is one way to the sense of thy presence; that there is no wrath like the wrath of being governed by my own lusts for my own ends."

1 comment:

  1. danielle, yay about the job!! that is so exciting. but i want to hear more about it. once again, PHONE DATE!

    and i really need to purchase valley of vision - i am long overdue. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger