Sunday, February 28, 2010

as the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for you O God. psalm 42:1


may this verse become my prayer. i had a successful long run yesterday of 10 miles. 8 outside in the beautiful sunny weather and 2 on the horrendous, squeaky 1990 treadmill we have in our house. when you run on it, it sounds like a stampede of buffalo or some other kind of large animal trampling along. i was running yesterday and listening to a mix of nickelcreek, ingram hill, bebo norman, hillsong, and carrie underwood. all uplifting music...and i get chills when i hear the one song by bebo that's entitled "pull me out". these are some of the lyrics:
"I can’t get my feet off of the ground
I wanna run but I don’t know how
Can you reach me here and pull me out
Can you pull me out,
I wanna scream but there’s no sound
I wanna fly to you somehow
Can you reach down here and pull me out
Can you pull me out
Not a moment too soon
You will be my rescue
But tell me how long will it take?"
right now at this point in my life i feel like these words capture what i cry out daily to the Lord. "i can't get my feet off the ground, i want to run but i don't know how", and wanting the Lord to reach down and pull me out---and asking over and over, "Lord, how long will this take?" it seems like studying for the board exam will never end...and when i'm running, the miles seem like they never end. but the Lord is our rescue, He is our trust and strength. HE is our exceeding joy. and as we run in this life (or walk if we enjoy that less strenuous but just as good approach to get our blood flowing), we pant...and we are all "panting" for something. and may we pant for God and thirst for HIM. He is living and will pull us out if we only would seek Him. in psalm 42, the psalmist says of God--- "therefore, I remember you from the land of the Jordan and the peaks of Hermon, from Mt. Mizar ("smallness"). deep calls to deep at the sound of your WATERFALLS; all your breakers and your waves have rolled over me. the Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; and His song will be with me in the night, a prayer to the God of my life". we are thirsty and He fills us...with lovingkindness.
these verses just came to mind as yesterday, i was out of breath, and panting i guess like a deer. and thirsty for water afterwards. again, another analogy of a runner and life.
life is a marathon..."my soul pants for you, O GOD".

oh, and here's a pic of my new shoes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger