Sunday, June 27, 2010

inspiration

my friend at work inspired me to do a spreadsheet on excel of my 1 yr, 5 yr, and 10 yr goals. i recommend that everyone do this...and also specify how you plan to meet the goals. i've learned over the years that we can have totally LOFTY way over-our-head goals, and they are never too difficult to attain if we put forth effort and develop determination and perseverance. 3 years ago after finishing a 1/2 marathon, in fact that day of finishing a 1/2, i was in the hotel room with my parents just throwing the idea around of "i can do a full marathon- i saw people my age out there doing it!" although i had many doubts about being able to complete one- and actually, my mind couldn't even GRASP the idea of finishing one and running that many miles- it took determination and perseverance along with training to finish one. i've marked it off my checklist of things to do in life- but do i stop there or look ahead for an even higher goal of having a better time or training better for another one? when i've talked to people after finishing that marathon in 2008, i tell them- i am definitely not doing that again! it was too hard and one is enough...but really, why stop there? i know i can do them, why not push myself and attain an even higher goal of a better time or qualifying for the boston marathon? i know it can be done. so now, that is one of my goals (and i definitely give credit to my friend who also has this goal). life is too short to not have goals and think you can reach high things if you just work at it and really focus on reaching them. i'm really excited about my goals spreadsheet and about developing even more. i left room under each category to add in new goals...we can definitely have "set" ones we know for sure we want to accomplish, but there are always going to be new things we want to try. we may have doubts we can do them, but sometimes those doubts overwhelm our trying and we end up being too discouraged to even put them on a goals list.
last night i also budgeted. i feel so old, but the time is fast approaching where i have to think about money and spending and every single expense i will have for the future. planning ahead is a big deal for me and is an important part of my every day life situations! i love planning...but i am not necessarily the most organized person. i figured last night- i am 23, and although i don't want to grow up, move away from home, have a full-time job- this is where the Lord is using me and calling me now during these moments, and in the everyday mundane things, we're still called to honor Him/glorify Him and praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger