Sunday, January 19, 2014

God's gracious design

I stumbled across a good blog post by John Piper the other day that I found so encouraging. I love the last part of the post that says:
"Do not think that your wound has come to you apart from God's gracious design. Remember his word: “See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god besides me . . . I wound and I heal” (Deuteronomy 32:39).
May God grant a special grace to you who are groaning under some burden. Look eagerly for the new tenderness of love God is imparting to you even now."
I also love this Psalm- 119 (verse 71) that says it was good for me that I was afflicted...
I find comfort today that affliction is good... and is part of God's gracious design. And that through affliction and through uncomfortable circumstances He calls us and draws us to find comfort in Him alone. nothing or no one else.
K has been working long shifts...and starts some with aviation this week, more the education/training part than actual flying. we haven't gotten to talk as much the past few days because of our schedules. I have to be honest and say there were days where I was finding comfort in talking with kennedy more than in the Word. I was kindof holding on to talking with him as the only tangible comfort. At his church his family goes to in Tampa today, the pastor was talking about the parable of the rich young ruler...and how Jesus tells him to sell everything he has and follow him in order to be a disciple and enter the kingdom of God. the pastor posed the question- is there anything in your life, anything you are holding on to that you can't let go that is keeping you from drawing near to God? I was thinking how I like to keep everything in control...I like to plan and have some kind of order. I like to know and believe that Kennedy will be ok and will come home safely. If I'm honest, I idolize the day he is returning and we will be able to live in Kansas and start living life together. I think about that so often. So many things have been uprooted in my heart during this time that I am seeing and that I want to turn away from and run to my Savior. I want to give him everything that I want to hold on to that keeps me from putting Him first. in loving Kennedy, I want to give him to the Lord and our marriage and rest in that God is above and bigger than everything. when I am sad or lonely, Kennedy always reminds me- "Danielle, I love you more than anything, but I can never love you as much or as perfectly as Jesus does." I'm thankful for God, His plans that cannot be thwarted, His gracious design that includes suffering/hard roads/afflictions...that glorify Him and beckon my heart to come close to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger