Friday, May 16, 2014

Philippians 4:8

Kennedy and I have often talked about our favorite verses. Philippians 4:8 is one of his and has become one of mine. I'm sitting at a coffee shop in the Little Apple after meeting a friend for coffee and flipped to this verse. I brought along the laptop, my Bible, and some pens- becoming essentials to my morning routine. When I flipped to this verse, I thought to myself, how can anything I read be applicable to my life right now? I am living what seems a monotonous life to me...I'm not working currently, I am done with school for good, and I know I have been saying this in previous posts, but I am praying through what my purpose is right now in this season. I am almost craving an abnormal experience right now in life...not necessarily (at all) something like Kennedy being deployed again but something that is life-changing or challenging for me. But... what God desires of me and longs from me no matter where I am is my whole heart, soul, and mind. Right now, then, that encourages my heart to know that the Creator of the universe longs for me to love Him and know Him more each day. This brings me to Philippians 4:8. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things". Even in the mundane, this is my calling of obedience to Christ's love for me.
Our faith is also not meant to be stagnant, but constantly growing and in motion upwards as we allow Christ to work in our hearts. So Colossians has many "growth" verbs- 2:6- Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so WALK in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. 4:2- CONTINUE steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. Hebrews 13:15 Through him then let us CONTINUALLY OFFER UP a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name. 2 John:6 And this is love, that we WALK according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should WALK in it.
This prayer in one sentence came from a book I'm reading called "Comforts from the Cross" that says:
Teach us to walk closely in step with You and to believe in what we cannot see from the threshing floor.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger