Saturday, May 10, 2014

Relationship

So yesterday marked the last meeting of our church's women's book study for the semester. It was only my second time to go and even though I haven't been reading the book (A Hole in Our Holiness, Kevin DeYoung), I have so enjoyed the discussion and of course the women in the group! I have to say that this week's discussion was one of the most encouraging discussions I've been a part of, and I think the reason for that is because of the honesty that filled the room. It encouraged me that our faith is not meant to go through alone...we need each other, the body of believers, to walk through life with together. A common theme that ran through our discussion was that our faith is ultimately about relationship, not about a "checklist" and marking things off like prayer, Bible reading, church, etc. It is about our hearts. Something that got me thinking was when one of my friends asked how differently our faith would be and how our approach to faith would be if we treated our relationship with Jesus as we do our closest earthly friendships. Obviously, we should consider Him in infinitely much greater value than earthly friendships; but if we really stop and think about it...as with our communication with our closest friends, is He the first one we want to talk to about something...is He on our mind throughout the day...is our relationship with Him more than a checklist...do we make time for Him?
After the book study, I went to Tuttle Creek state park, impulsively bought a year pass that is good for all KS state parks, and spread a blanket out under a tree with my Bible, notebook, and book "Comforts from the Cross" spread out. I opened my Bible to Isaiah and just started reading, praying God would open my eyes to something new. Within the first chapter I read,

"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes, cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. Come now let us reason together, says the Lord, though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are WILLING and OBEDIENT, you shall eat the good of the land". 

I am thankful that God has made me clean through His Son...and my prayer is that in response to His mercy and love, I would be willing and obedient in following Him. Reading through this book of the Bible yesterday, God refreshed my eyes to seeing the bigger story. 

"Behold, this has touched your lips, your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for". 

No matter my failings, inconsistencies, unbelief, and doubts, Jesus has covered them all. What freedom there is in that, in responding to Him, in obeying Him, in turning from our sin, in communicating with Him, in loving Him. 

"The Lord waits to be gracious to you". 

He is patient. Another thing DeYoung mentions in the book that someone brought up was that God wants us to tell Him we love Him, He loves to hear that from us. As our Father and friend, this makes sense. It got me to thinking how often do I tell God I love Him? 

Yesterday's discussion and intentional quiet time in the Word with little distractions were just what I needed. And what I need daily. Minute by minute communion with God throughout each day. Prayer: God, encourage my heart to continue being mindful of You. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger