Monday, September 29, 2014

"Keep a Quiet Heart"- Elisabeth Elliot

My heart and mind are quick to forget that this is where I find the most joy- in truly being still, sitting and getting full on God's Word and writing His Truths in my journal and asking Him to press them on my heart. I'm sitting at Panera in my "quiet place" after just getting off the phone with a dear friend. I had already planned on coming to indulge myself in reading and writing, but after crying and catching up on life, she reminded me that one of the best and most necessary things we need as Christians is to be STILL. I've probably blogged about this before, but this afternoon, I am treasuring this time. I'm brought to tears thinking that my King wants more than anything to spend time with me, His child. I can't help but think He smiles when our thoughts are focused on Him.

My thoughts haven't really been about Him, to be honest. My thoughts today have been, "It's almost October...How much longer will my HcG levels be too high where we can't think about getting pregnant again?" Every time I look at my calendar I think about our loss and it invokes sadness, but then I think of future days and how impatient I become when my desire for the now is to be pregnant again. My longing has been for this earthly desire...when David says in Psalm 107:9,
For HE satisfies the longing soul, and the HUNGRY soul He fills with GOOD things. 
I'm asking the Lord to quiet my heart and my mind with all its questioning thoughts and to help me to be satisfied in Him. I love this quote I have written-
"Jesus, let our faithful mind rest, on Thee alone reclined; Every anxious thought repress, Keep our souls in perfect peace."- Charles Wesley

One of my favorite books is "Keep a Quiet Heart". When I am intentionally going to read somewhere, I'll take it with me and re-highlight some favorite quotes from dear Elisabeth. Before I add in some of her wisdom below, I am reading some entries in my journal that I have scribbled...
from Jesus Calling "Listening to HIM: I am speaking in the depths of your being...BE STILL so you can hear my voice. Living close to Me requires making Me your first love- your highest priority".
"Trust in Him at ALL times, o people; pour out your hearts to him for GOD is our Refuge." Ps 62:8
Lord, I trust you, I believe you, but help my trust and belief in difficult times. Help me to trust you at ALL times. 

My prayer is that this time today brings me closer to Him and my days would be filled with His presence- captivating my thoughts and my heart's desire and my trust would be strengthened, my joy deepened in Him. Elisabeth E. says, "If through losing what this world prizes we are enabled to gain what it despises- treasure in heaven, invisible and incorruptible- isn't it worth any kind of suffering? What is it worth to us to learn a little bit more of what the Cross means- life out of death, the transformation of earth's losses and heartbreaks and tragedies? Poverty has not been my experience, but God has allowed in the lives of each of us some sort of loss, the withdrawal of something we valued, in order that we may learn to offer ourselves a little more willingly, to allow the touch of death on one more thing we have clutched so tightly, and thus know fullness and freedom and joy that much sooner. We're not naturally inclined to love God and seek His Kingdom. Trouble may help to incline us- that is, it may tip us over, put some pressure on us, lean us in the right direction".


1 comment:

Powered By Blogger