Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Favorite Season

Fall is my favorite season. I love everything fall...the cooler weather, pumpkins, the colors of the leaves changing. At the beginning of fall this year, I could not have told you it was my "favorite". It has been my most difficult season of life. However, God has shown me His blessing and the power of His work in my heart that I would not have known if I had not gone through the difficulties. Blessings have come in all forms- people, provision of jobs, a newness of God's Word, and restoring work by the Spirit, and I am thankful.
A while back, my pastor in Memphis recommended a book he had read by Mark Buchanan called "Spiritual Rhythm- Being with Jesus every season of your soul". If you have not read it, you should check it out. For fall, this is what he describes:


"Biblically, fall captivates for a different reason: it's harvest time...The window between bumper crop and famine was an eye of the needle, narrow sometimes as a single day. A good crop was cause for great rejoicing. A blighted crop, deep distress. Harvest was a time to acknowledge God as provider: rainmaker, sun-keeper, storm-quencher. The season proved, yet again, God's enduring faithfulness. And it demonstrated, yet again, the utmost dependency of God's children on his faithfulness. The heart in fall is, in a word, expectant. Fall is for reaping and for storing, but it's also for feasting and thanking. I can choose what I sow. I can choose, because I have the Spirit, to sow that which pleases the Spirit. I can nurture the little seedlings of the Spirit's promptings- promptings to be a man of peace, of gentleness, of self-control, of love, and the like. And in due time, I will reap a harvest that's worth storing up.


My prayer is for the Lord's help in choosing to sow what pleases Him- in whatever season I am in- and to be thankful and look expectantly towards what is to come- something far greater than any disappointment or even earthly desire. 

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Behold, the dwelling place of the Lord is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God Himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away'. And he who was seated on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making ALL THINGS NEW'." Revelation 21:3-5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger